We spend a lot of money on a product with the expectation of getting glowing skin but end up having breakouts or even worse. And then we ask ourselves what went wrong! Sounds familiar, right?
We all have different skin types and requirements. Choosing the right product according to our skin is really essential and shouldn’t be taken lightly. This will not only save us money but also help us in achieving our skin goals more effectively.
The first thing to keep in mind while purchasing a new product is knowing our skin type. This is the most basic and yet an important step during a purchase. The next thing which we should focus on is the ingredients that will suit our skin. Now, this can be tricky as there are so many ingredients and honestly it is not easy to remember them all.
We would like to share some of the must-have ingredients one should be looking out for when thinking of getting a new product, especially while venturing into the world of actives.
Now, if we have oily skin, we’d recommend going for ingredients that have AHA (Glycolic Acid), BHA (Salicylic Acid), Niacinamide and Hyaluronic Acid. These ingredients will control the extra sebum production and keep breakouts at bay. They penetrate deeply into the skin and unclogs pores by removing extra sebum, oil, or dirt. Niacinamide is everyone’s favorite. It has so many properties and one of our favorites is, it helps in controlling that extra sebum production without making our skin feel dry. Hyaluronic Acid will provide the needed hydration and doesn’t make our skin oily. If you have oily skin, we recommend never going for ingredients that have Ceramides, Petroleum moisturiser, or Glycerine.
Deconstruct Pore Control Serum, Exfoliating Serum and Hydrating Serum would go perfectly for oily skin types. These serums will not only control blackheads or whiteheads but also keeps skin oil in check thus reducing the occurrence of acne.
If someone has dry skin, we recommend going for ingredients that have Lactic Acid, Ceramides, Probiotics, Hyaluronic Acid, Shea Butter, or Glycerine. They will provide hydration and mild exfoliation to keep your skin glowing. Lactic Acid is a mild AHA & gently exfoliates the upper layer of the skin giving a smooth and even skin tone. Shea Butter & Glycerine will provide all the necessary hydration to your skin that is lacking and will also protect the skin barrier. Apply Hyaluronic Acid before applying any moisturiser. This will enhance skin hydration.
If you have sensitive skin then avoid products that have AHA and go with an ingredient such as niacinamide or Probiotics. They will do their work perfectly without causing any irritation or inflammation. Deconstruct has their Beginners Exfoliating Serum that is formulated specifically for sensitive & dry skin.
Now, if you are someone who has been facing acne issues, we’d suggest going for Deconstruct Breakout Control Serum. It has Potassium Azeloyl Peroxide which is a derivative of Azelaic Acid and is literally the best for all skin types with acne issues.
If you are in your mid-twenties or above and looking for anti-ageing ingredients, then Retinol and Peptide are perfect for you. They have amazing anti-ageing properties and work effectively to reduce wrinkles & fine lines. Always remember to add them slowly in your skincare routine.
Deconstruct Retinol and Peptide Serum contains 0.2% Retinol and 1% Peptides and is well suited for beginners.
Things to keep in mind while using actives:
- Please keep that in mind that the product that has worked for your friend will not work best for you. So, never buy into the hype. Your skin has different requirements. It is best to have some information in your pocket when you are out shopping for skincare products.
- Choosing the best time to apply the ingredient is as important as choosing the right ingredient. AHAs & BHAs should always be applied in your PM routine. Niacinamide, PAD, and Hyaluronic Acid are safe to use during both AM & PM routines.
- Remember prevention is better than cure. Always apply sunscreen in the morning while using any actives. Your skincare won’t work or do its job the right way if you don’t protect your skin. We’d recommend the Qurez Mattifying SPF 50 Sunscreen with Vitamin E & Matcha Green Tea for the ultimate protection minus the greasy texture!
- Start slow when using actives. Starting with a high concentration isn’t always the way to use. Start with a lower concentration based on the active and then work your way up. Starting too high can cause irritation or even the risk of burning your skin so always be mindful.
- Always, always, do a patch test before using it. And if you still feel unsure or have doubts about a particular product, always check with a professional or dermatologist.
At the end of the day, actives are ingredients that simply do the job. Their purpose is to help not only manage a specific skin concern, but also help resolve it. They can truly turn your skin around over time, so ensure that you find the right one for your skin.
- Deep Mala