The tradition of crystal healing may be timeless but is a newfound favorite in the skincare world today. Ancient skin care tools such as facial rollers and gua sha have been used in traditional Chinese medicine since eons. They have been known to provide holistic healing and help in achieving a balance physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Stones and crystals such as Jade, Amethyst, Rose Quartz, etc are charged and blessed with vibrant positivity and have a multitude of benefits for the skin. These magic beauty wands are more than just a trend today and have become self-care staples, which can help with issues such as acne, redness, puffiness, dullness, wrinkles and the list goes on!
Understanding the purpose of each tool, and what it does is essential when it comes to picking the right tool for yourself, and for it to actually provide the benefits you’re looking for.
What is the purpose of a Face Roller?
First and foremost, facial rollers are super convenient beauty wands that have two rollers of different sizes at the two opposite ends, for different parts of your face. The larger stone must be used for cheekbones, jaw, etc whereas the smaller one must be used under your eyes. The rolling actions along with the application of light pressure helps to re-energize the skin as well as promote blood circulation from within.
What is the purpose of a Gua sha?
A gua sha is a tool that comes from Chinese medicine, and the word 'gua' means scrape, and 'sha' means sand. This essentially means gua sha treat muscle pain and give you a sculpted effect when pressure is applied onto the face using it. These tools have different edges, which fit on different parts of your face like your cheeks, jaw, forehead, etc to give you more coverage and contact for a great sculpted effect. As you stroke along your face using the “Sweeping technique”, your skin stretches and this creates friction, giving you a well-contoured effect.
Why are face tools like Face Rollers and Gua Sha beneficial for acne-prone skin?
Face tools do wonders for acne-prone skin for a range of reasons:
- They help stimulate new blood flow and bring oxygen to the surface of the skin that helps heal it.
- They help draw out stagnation in problem areas, and in generating metabolic cell repair.
- They help re-energize the skin, and the gentle massaging motions stimulate the lymphatic drainage system throughout your face, which is a crucial part of your immune system.
- Upon stimulation, it cleanses the body from stagnant waste products, toxins, and other debris and carries white blood cells that help prevent infection.
- Since it is removing the obstructions where fluid may build-up, it aids in reducing swelling, acne, allergies, and regenerating the skin’s tissue as well.
To break it down, lymphatic drainage is like the inner mechanism of the body which is responsible for picking up the waste, viruses and bacteria. Due to different injuries, stress, or physical inactivity, this system can get backlogged which leads to swelling, breakouts, and immunity issues. Stimulating it and getting your body's fluids moving once again can result in toxins and waste exiting, and regaining glowing, healthy and radiant skin!
Moreover, an additional bonus of face tools is that they help release stress from facial muscles, de-puff your face as well as cool and calm the skin. They have great anti-aging benefits too, as they boost healthy collagen production and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is highly effective for toning the muscles as well, especially if done correctly on the meridian lines.
How often should you use face tools and how do you use them?
Whichever tool you may choose to use, be it a gua sha or a roller, it can help with curing the dreadful problem of acne in the long-term. The key to this is consistency: to see visible results within a stipulated period of time, you must use the tool on your face every single day. The idea is to avoid skipping it even for a single day because that can hinder the detoxifying and healing process. It doesn't matter when you choose to do it - during the day, or at night but stick to the same routine every day. You must use the tool on your face preferably for 4-5 minutes per day, and if time permits, feel free to do it twice a day too!
How to use a Face Roller
How to use a Gua Sha
Should you use a face tool with a serum or face oil?
Facial tools must always be used with a serum or face oil of your choice. The rolling or sweeping effect will also ensure better absorption into the skin, and ensure that the essential nutrients seep in faster rather than just sitting on the outermost layer of your skin. If you suffer from acne, we recommend the following:
1. Using the Ilana Clarifying Serum which is enriched with Argan oil and Tea Tree oil which have strong antibacterial and antifungal compounds that help to disinfect the skin from within, and cure redness around the pimples.
2. Another pick is the Sukin Certified Organic Rosehip Oil - a wonder ingredient, Rosehip helps to nourish the skin and reduce the appearance of acne scars and redness other than alleviating lost moisture and having great anti-aging properties.
3. The RAS Luxury Oils Luminous Face Clearing Elixir with antimicrobial essence oils and a purifying blend of nutrient-rich oils that help to purify and balance the skin from within, soothe it, and reduce inflammation.
Ideally, our skin experts recommend using serum if you are choosing to do this in the day, because oils can get a little sticky, especially in humid climates or for those with oily skin. On the contrary, If you’re incorporating this in your night-time skin routine, apply this after your usual moisturizer or night cream.
When do you add a face tool to your skin routine?
When using a face tool in your skincare routine, the order will vary depending on the time of the day.
Day: Cleanser > Toner > Serum > Face Roller/ Gua sha > Moisturiser
Night: Cleanser > Toner > Serum > Moisturiser > Face oil > Face Roller/ Gua sha
What aftercare must you follow to clean the face tool?
- After using the tool, taking proper care of it is absolutely crucial, as this is an investment you make for life! Clean it and store it well, using the instructions below:
- Wipe off any excess oil, serum, or sebum with a soft, dry, and clean washcloth.
- It is always recommended to wipe this off after every use, or 2-3 times a week.
- Use a gentle cleanser, or soap to kill the bacteria and dirt.
- Rinse it thoroughly with lukewarm water (Avoid extremely hot water!)
- Layer the roller/gua sha horizontally on the cloth, and leave it out to dry.
The bottom line:
Incorporating this holistic ritual on a daily basis can help you achieve the flawless and coveted glow easily from the comfort of your home, and banish the dire problem of acne, redness and other blemishes. Healing stones assist in cleansing all the negativity from the body, rejuvenating and refreshing the mind, body and spirit. Detoxify, de-stress and indulge in massage therapy today!