We've all been through the phase of just keeping face wash or makeup remover on our nightstands because we’re so tired at night that we forget to remove our makeup.
If you feel like sticking to a skincare routine isn’t your cup of tea, you’re not the only one! It’s completely understandable because we all lead busy lives, and we might skip these completely. But it's important to spare a few minutes day and night—that’s all your skin is asking for!
The struggle is real, folks.
It might seem like you try new products, see no visible results, get frustrated, lose all hope, and give up. It’s a vicious cycle. It's no surprise that our current social media culture has given us the impression that we can get instant results.
But let’s face it. Skincare requires consistency. It’s like exercising: you don’t just do it one day and expect to magically wake up with no pimples or dark spots on your skin. Going through the trial and error of trying out new brands and trends is normal and requires you to do it consistently to get the desired results.
Young, healthy skin typically follows a 28-day cycle; that is the time for your skin cells to mature. A consistent one-month regime is apt to produce visible results on your skin.
The goal? to achieve clear, downright amazing skin.
How? Let’s map out an easy routine and stick to it, during the day and at night, with these 6 easy steps!
1. Understand what your skin needs
Before you gear up, identify your skin needs. Is it oily? Acne-prone? Dry and dull? Knowing your skin type is the stepping stone to building a basic skincare routine that involves cleansing, moisturising, and sun protection!
Most of the time, we are not washing our faces properly. Focus on your washing skills to wash off all the dirt, pollution, and makeup from your face.
Here are a few recommendations for face washes:
1. The Chemist At Play Brightening Face Wash is suitable for oily and combination skin! Enriched with 7% Zemea and 1% Vitamin C, this cleanser is fit for daily AM & PM routines to remove dirt, and pollution, and prep your skin for the next skincare steps.
2. The FixDerma Non-Drying Cleanser is suitable for normal to dry skin. Lactic Acid leaves your skin clear and defined without overdrying it.
2. Trick yourself into doing the basics, but don’t overdo it
If you’re having a fresh start, don’t jumpstart with 10 steps. You’ll probably start procrastinating and find it a chore.
Keep the makeup remover on your nightstand and remove the makeup before sleeping. Begin with the three main steps: cleanse, moisturise, and sun protection. Cleansing and moisturising are musts in your AM and PM routine. Follow that and see how that works out for you. If it works in your favour, add a toner to the routine too!
We recommend you add these to your routine:
1. Put Simply WaterDamn Moisturiser: A hydrating, gel-like moisturiser for dry, oily, and combination skin. It has a Niacinamide content of 3%, which replenishes moisture levels without clogging pores! 35% Cica Water will prevent water loss and repair your skin's barrier.
2. Sunscoop Glow Sunscreen SPF 60: This sunscreen provides a glowy finish as well as protection from harmful UV rays. It’s infused with Vitamin E and Licorice extract, which give much-needed hydration, nourishment, and a glow to the skin. Make sure your SPF is your BFF, everyday!
3. Declutter & keep all your products in one place
Make sure that all of the products you need on a daily basis are easily accessible and that they are neatly arranged so that you never skip a step.
Tidy the place where you sit to do your routine, add a few exciting touches, and decorate it to make it look pretty. It’ll make you look forward to the routine every day!
4. Create a self-care routine that feels less like a chore
Light up some candles and play a relaxing playlist—it'll help you get in the mood for self-care. Do what makes you feel relaxed; the positive atmosphere will make you look forward to this routine after a long, exhausting day!
On days when you have time and are in the mood for extra pampering, spruce it up by putting on a hydrating face mask and applying nail paint.
5. Set a reminder on your phone
“I forget to do my skincare routine” is one of the reasons or excuses we give. Sometimes the solution is quite simple. Set a day-and-night reminder on your phone for it. This is more like a quick nudge to put you in the right headspace for your routine. Eventually, you’ll condition your brain and muscles to move without a reminder.
6. Switch it up & buy products you’re excited to try
For all the low moods you have, sometimes retail therapy is what you need. Once you get into the headspace of skincare, you can’t help but scroll through sites to add another skin-care product to your wishlist.
When you get bored with your regular routine, change up your look with new products. You can start treating specific skin concerns by adding an AHA/BHA serum or a night gel to your routine. Get extra-hydrated with essences and face mists.
1. The Pulp Date Night Glow Serum’s anti-inflammatory properties like Ceramides and Tremella Fuciformis will intensely hydrate, repair the skin barrier, and enhance your skin’s elasticity. Bring back the glow with two drops of it, day and night!
2. Plum Green Tea Renewed Clarity Night Gel will work its magic overnight and help vanish your acne and acne marks, leaving behind brighter, glowing skin. Say hello to oil-free mornings right away!
Once you get into the habit of doing your skincare routine every day and at night, you'll develop muscle memory for it. This once-daunting and hopeless routine will change into one you can’t wait to do as soon as you begin and end the day! Because now it’s part of your "me time"! Trust us, good skin care days are coming for you!
Let us know once you start following these tips below; we’d love to hear about your journey!
1. How to identify my skin type?
If your skin appears to be shiny, especially around the T-zone, you have oily skin. If it feels tight, itchy, and flaky, you mostly have dry skin. If it feels comfortable and decently hydrated, you have normal skin. If only your T-zone is oily and your cheeks feel a bit dry, you have combination skin.
2. How to layer skincare products?
The basic rule is to layer products that have a light consistency. In the beginning, stick to a regular CMS routine, that is, cleansing, moisturising, and sun protection, for optimal results. Always, without fail, end your routine with sunscreen. Once you feel comfortable with your routine, you can start applying a toner after cleansing your skin.
3. Is it necessary to apply sunscreen at home too?
Yes, it is. The UV rays can pass through your room's windows, even on cloudy and rainy days. So yes, it’s important to apply a regular amount of sunscreen to prevent premature ageing and more.
- Salonee Salian