It is a very confusing process to choose the right serum for your skin. With the number of options available it is almost overwhelming to make a decision. If you want your skin to receive some extra nourishment to look even more healthy and young, serums are for you. Here is everything you need to know about serums.
What is Serum?
Serums are a concentration of active ingredients that penetrate through the skin to solve specific skin concerns. They have the ability to penetrate deep through the 7 layers of our skin making it more effective than other skincare products as they are made of smaller molecules. Serums cannot be classified as a moisturiser as they do not form a layer on our skin but seep within. There is a wide array of serums to choose from, so how do you determine the one meant from you.
What is the Importance of using a Serum?
A few benefits of using a serum are listed below:
- It tightens your skin preventing it from premature aging and sagging. They are filled with ingredients used to tighten your skin and make it look young and firm.
- Serums can be used to brighten your skin. Your skin tends to lose its glow as it ages. Serums will help you to detoxify and rejuvenate dull-looking skin.
- It reduces dark spots, pigmentation and discoloration in skin tone. As our skin is constantly exposed to UVA rays that accelerate aging and UVB rays that cause the skin to burn, we must ensure to keep it protected. By using a serum, you can reduce the appearances of these dark spots.
- Serums help reduce signs of fatigue. Not giving yourself enough sleep can make your skin look dull and lifeless. Using a serum can help repair dull skin and promote cellular development, leaving your skin looking bright and radiant.
- It can hydrate the skin through its moisturising benefits. It locks the moisture into the pores and creates a more healthy-looking skin.
- Using the right serum can help manage acne-prone skin. It can help absorb oil, mattify the skin and treat acne breakouts. Acne-prone serums are generally rich in salicylic or glycolic acids, used for spot treatment.
What are the Different Kinds of Serums?
There are many different kinds of serums that perform different tasks for different skin concerns from brightening and tightening to reducing pores. Generally, serums are transparent, water-based or gel-based formulas. They are applied before moisturising to lock in the ingredients deep within the skin surface. But what are the serums that you should use? You must look for products that are concentrated with nutrients.
1. Anti-ageing Serums
It is beneficial for all skin types and not only mature skin. You can use them as early as in your 20s. They can help to slow down the aging process and with the right ingredients they can combat fine lines and wrinkles. Some good options are Sublime Life Photo- Age Ampoules with 15% Vitamin C and Ohria Ayurveda Bhmhana Night Repair Serum.
It can be used by all skin types and generally include ingredients like Vitamin A, C and E, resveratrol, niacinamide, melatonin and L-Ascorbic acid. It helps to protect your skin from the pollutants and unstable molecules that can damage your skin cells on a daily basis. You can use Sukin Super Greens Facial Recovery Serum or Swisse Blood Orange Brightening Facial Serum with Niacinamide.
3. Moisturising Serums
These serums are a must-have for those with dry skin to hydrate the layers within. It can also be used by those with oily skin or acne-prone skin too. Oily skin often needs moisture deep down to regulate the skin’s production of natural oils called sebum. The ingredients to seek out must include hyaluronic acid and peptides. Try using Coccoon Hydrating Night Serum with Kakadu Plum (Vitamin C), Shea Butter & Vitamins or Swisse Hyaluro Natural Skin & Facial Hydration Serum.
To even out your skin tone you must use a serum rich in Phytic acid, vitamin C, arbutin, kojic acid, azelaic acid, L-Ascorbic acid and glycolic acid. These will naturally reduce hyperpigmentation, lighten dark spots and reduce discoloration. You should use Martiderm Proteos Hydra Plus SP 30 Ampoules | 5% Vitamin C | Brightening & Hydration, Shankara Brightening Serum or Organic Riot Dazzle – Anti Pigmentation Serum.
Why your Serums are disappointing you?
These are some common mistakes we make while applying our serums. We must remember to get the most of our product it is important to not make these errors:
1. Applying Moisturiser before your serum
Moisturisers form a layer on the skin surface while serums penetrate within the surface. The serum will find it hard to get into the skin and will not prove effective. Hence, you must ensure to always apply your serum first and then moisturise.
2. Rubbing it into your skin
We might presume that by doing so that the serum will seep in through the deep layers but that may not be the case. This may be harsh and might tear the surface causing damages to the skin. Always use light gentle strokes to massage it in.
3. Using your Serum only once a week
In order to see results, serums should be a part of your skincare regime. The more regularly you use it the better the results one see.
4. Applying the Wrong Serums for your Skin Concerns
If you fail to understand the skin concern you are trying to target, you will not be able to address the problem. Using the correct ingredients for your skin is imperative to see results.
What are some tips to get the most out of your serum?
You have probably learned and understood all about serums by now. But what are the things you must remember while applying to get the most out of them.
1. Always Cleanse your face before you apply the serum
You can use the double cleansing method by first using an oil-based cleanser to wash your face such as Zyna Deep Cleansing Milk or Dear, Klairs Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil followed by a regular, water-soluble cream, gel, or lotion cleanser such as Sukin Cream Cleanser.
2. Rinse your face with luke-warm water and pat it dry
Apply your serum on damp skin. This opens up the pores and allows the serum to penetrate deeper within the skin more readily.
3. Do not load your face with the serum
Remember that serums are a concentration of active ingredients. They can be expensive too, so use just the right amount. Using excess will not show faster results.
4. Use a Moisturiser after applying your Serum
Allow your serum to absorb fully into the skin before you moisturise. Read more about moisturisers here.
5. Use your serum regularly
Consistency is key in order to see visible results. You can use it once in the morning and once before bed.
6. If you want to see even better results, you must try micro-needling.
You must be careful of the product you use or your skin type and the way it reacts before you proceed with this step. Micro-needling contains tiny needles that make small punctures on your skin in order to artificially increase the rate of cellular growth on the skin. By applying a serum after your micro-needling session, the pores are left open and can absorb the product at a rapid rate.
7. Use a Mask before applying the Serum
This can help remove the impurities from within the clogged pores along with the dead cells on the surface of the skin. Try using Myra Veda The Greek Goddess Shea & Zinc Scrub Mask or Sukin Oil Balancing + Charcoal Anti-Pollution Facial Masque. Read more about Face Masks here.
Serums are a great rescue mechanism for all our varied skin worries. Understanding our skin type and targeting specific skin concerns would be a great way to choose the right serum and get efficient results. It is a must-have skincare product to get younger and healthier-looking skin. Once you have chosen the serum for yourself you must follow the important tips. Remember to make the most of it.
- Howrah Lookmanji